Get acquainted with every bit of the Rann Utsav Kutch Festival
Undoubtedly, the Rann of Kutch in Gujarat is famous for being one of the biggest salt deserts in the world but that’s not all about it. It is also famous worldwide for hosting a glorious festival known by the name of the Rann Utsav. Also known as the Rann of Kutch Festival and Kutch Festival, this is a 3-month long event held at the edge of the White Rann. During this festival, Gujarat receives an enormous no. of tourists.
What makes the Rann Utsav a tourist attraction?
- Dates :
01/11/2019 – 20/02/2020
- Location :
Gujarat is well-known across the world for its culture and traditional festivals. One such festival full of joy and amusement is the Kutch Festival. This festival aims at the commemoration of the life and vibrant culture of Gujarat. During this festival, tourists get an opportunity to feel the diversity of traditions and meet the heartwarming people of Kutch. This festival not only allows the visitors to explore the varied cultural ethos, local customs and lifestyle of the people of Kutch but also enables them to have a look at the talent and creativity of the locals in the form of musical and folk performances, craftwork, etc. In a nutshell, it can also be regarded as the quintessence of Kutch.
When will be the Rann Utsav 2019-2020 celebrated?
Organized by the Tourism Department of Gujarat, this festival is hosted during the winter season. The Rann Utsav 2019-2020 will be hosted from 1st November 2019 to 20th February 2020 during the full moon phase. During this time period, the white desert becomes a captivating sight to behold along with a plethora of cultural and folk performances.
How is the Rann Utsav celebrated?
During the Rann Utsav, there is a manifestation of Indian traditional art forms of Kutch. Many cultural activities and programs are organized during the Rann Utsav in the radiant aura of the full moon. The festival boasts of the largest tent accommodation in India that sprawls over an area of 5, 00,000 sq. m. The arrangements of the accommodation are done in tents along the border of the great White Rann. These tents vary in accommodation capacity and facilities that suit everyone’s needs and budget. Located at a distance of 85 km from Bhuj, the entire Tent City is a C-shaped cluster of tents with additional spaces of two dining halls that span an area of 1200 sq. m. There is a separate reception area, a conference hall, a clubhouse, and a café each of which serves different purposes for the guests. It is indeed an experience of a lifetime when you spend a night on the sparkling white sand desert that stretches far into the horizon. Visitors can enjoy living in colorful tents, sit by the evening bonfires, watch artisans work, dance with local folk dancers and enjoy camel safaris. The ethnic stuff showcased by local artists and various NGOs is also worth buying.
What are the other things to do in the Rann Utsav?
- Indulge yourself in various cultural activities such as puppet shows, dance performances and Indian folk music besides the sightseeing activities.
- There are several other activities also that one can enjoy during the Rann Utsav such as ATV riding, paragliding, paramotoring, bike rides, paintball, trampoline, pool, chess etc. One can also take pleasure in the spa treatment or can try meditation.
- You can also do some shopping here. Lots of shopping stalls are available selling the authentic Gujarati style handicrafts, embroidered ornaments along with the extremely heavy Ghaghara which is a beautiful representation of mirror work embedded on a piece of fine cloth.
- Food is another factor to be considered during the festival. Several dishes can be savored such as Bajra Rotella, Kher Sangli, Khari Bha and Gulab Pak.
- Take advantage of your visit to Kutch by traveling to other sites such as Dholavira, Nirona Village and Koteshwar near the calm Narayan Sarovar. Here you also have the chance to see the various species of migratory birds along with Indo-Pak Border.
- Set your eyes on the full moon glowing over the white sand desert, making the ambience super romantic.
What are the other places that one can explore during the Rann Utsav?
- Shyamji Krishna Varma Memorial
- Mandvi Beach
- Kala Dungar
- Aina Mahal
- Vijay Vilas Palace
- Swaminarayan Temple
Where to stay during the Rann Utsav?
The state government has set up several guest lodgings keeping the comfort of the travelers in consideration. There are numerous other options to stay like in a tent or in one of the deluxe hotels/resorts in the surrounding area.
How to reach the Rann Utsav?
- By Air: Bhuj is well-connected to all the major cities of India. Moreover, there are daily flights from Mumbai to Bhuj as well. For reaching Rann Utsav, one can hire taxi and auto rickshaws from the airport.
- By Road: The road to Kutch is full of picturesque and delightful views. The city is connected to the neighboring town through highway number 8. Moreover, state and private buses are available after specific time intervals.
- By Train: All the major cities of India are connected to Bhuj Railway Station. In addition, one can also take a long route and catch Kutch express from Mumbai.
What are the tips to be followed while visiting the Rann Utsav?
- Make sure that you are done with all the reservations 45 days prior to your trip.
- Don’t forget to collect a Government Pass as it will be required several times at the checkpoints.
Get your hands on the most sought-after festival of Gujarat and you will be enjoying the culture, traditions, adventure and festivity. No other place can ever beat the experience of the Rann Utsav as here, you get all from the white sand desert to starlit sky and from folk music performances to the unspoiled environment. Have a gala time in the company of your friends and family at the Rann Utsav Kutch Festival.