Nagaur Cattle Fair In Rajasthan
Besides being the largest state of India, Rajasthan is culturally rich and is a host of several fairs and festivals. The second largest cattle fair of India, Nagaur Fair is organized in Rajasthan. Tourists from all over the world flock the city of Jodhpur to enjoy during this fair. The festival creates an environment of merrymaking in the town. This fair observes the trading of various types of livestock.
- Dates :
30/01/2020 – 02/02/2020
- Location :
What is Nagaur Fair?
This festival is renowned all around the world due to being the trading center of various animals including bullocks, oxen, camels, cows, and horses. During this festival, people of Rajasthan dress in the traditional and colorful attires. Since the major focus of this festival is on trading of the livestock, it is also called the Cattle Fair of Nagaur. This fair was initiated by the Jodhpur Dynasty King Mr. Umed Singh in honor of Shri Ramdeoji and since then, the fair has been held regularly. Therefore, the fair is also known by the name of the Ramdeoji Cattle Fair.
When and Where is it celebrated?
Nagaur Fair is celebrated annually over a time span of 4 days in the months of January or February (month of Magha according to the Hindu calendar) by the Department of Animal Husbandry in association with the Department of Tourism, Government of Rajasthan. The festival is observed in the Rajput town of Nagaur in the Blue City- Jodhpur of Rajasthan. The Nagaur Fair 2020 will be hosted from 30 January to 2 February 2020.
Also Check:- Rajasthan Travel – Places to visit in Rajasthan
How is the Nagaur Fair celebrated?
The festival witnesses the presence of cattle as many as 70,000 or more in number. Animals are trades at a massive scale. It is an elaborate affair including singing and dancing performances. Villagers from nearby regions such as Punjab and Haryana also visit this fair to sell their animals. What makes the fair an interesting sight to behold is the beautifully ornated animals with numerous accessories. Even the cattle owners themselves wear colorful turbans and long mustaches. Another appealing thing about this fair is that the animals traded are absolutely fit and are likely to fetch prices as high as 10 lakhs.
What are the highlights of the Nagaur Fair?
- One can shop for the spicy red chilies in the most famous and largest red-chilly market of India, known by the name of Mirchi Bazar.
- Enjoy the activities and sports such as camel races, tug-of-war, bullock races, cock fights, etc.
- You can buy souvenirs for your near and dear ones from this fair in the form of quality wooden items, headgears, fabrics, leather accessories, iron crafts, etc.
- Get entertained by catching the sights of jugglery acts and puppet shows.
- At the time of the sunset, you can revel in the performances given by talented folk musicians and dancers of Jodhpur.
- Tourists can also enjoy a campfire while listening to the stories related to the tradition and heritage of Rajasthan.
What are the other things to do in Nagaur?
- History buffs can take delight by being a guest of the majestic Nagaur Fort.
- Spirituality can be bought by paying a visit to the Tarkeen Dargah, a holy site of the Muslims.
- Admire the charming artwork of Jain Glass Temple which is erected entirely of glass.
- Catch a glimpse of the beautiful paintings and designed walls of the Deepak Mahal.
- Appreciate the beauty of stonework done at the Amar Singh’s Cenotaph.
How to reach Nagaur?
- By Air: The nearest airport connecting the city is Jodhpur Airport located at a distance of about 135 km.
- By Road: Nagaur can be approached by two routes from Jaipur- via Sikar or via Jodhpur.
- By Train: Nagpur is connected to Indore, Mumbai, Surat, Bikaner, Jaipur, Jodhpur, etc. via train.
Where to stay in Nagaur?
During your visit to Nagaur, you can stay at any hotel of your choice. All the hotels in Nagaur are well-equipped with all types of facilities and are perfect for business travelers as well as leisure tourists.
Show up at the spirited Nagaur Fair of Rajasthan to observe the huge cattle crowds and make the most of your vacations along with basking in the festive traditions of the region.