Planning to travel to India but worried? Here we have answered all the FAQs related to India. Check out the entire piece as it includes all the things that you must know before planning a trip to India. These will surely be beneficial for you and you will be able to enjoy hassle-free vacations in India.
- Is India a popular destination for Canadian tourists?
India is a very popular destination among the tourists and every year the number of tourists arriving in India is more than the previous year. According to a report by the Indian Government, a 68.8% growth was seen on Foreign Tourist Arrivals on E- tourist Visa including tourists from Canada as well.
- How long can I stay in India with an E-Visa?
Tourist Visas come with a validity of one-month, one-year and five-year. Visitors can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization online and can get it stamped upon arrival at the airport. Tourists from Canada, the US, UK, and Japan can stay up to 180 days during each visit.
- Which is the best time for Canadians to visit India?
The best time to travel to India is in winter- from October to March. During this time, the weather becomes pleasant, except peak winter that starts after Christmas.
- What are top-5 must-visit destinations in India for Canadians?
The top-5 destinations to visit in India for a Canadian tourist would be Varanasi, The TajMahal at Agra, and Rishikesh for a Yoga retreat, Udaipur for a luxurious Indian Hospitality and Kerala for the scenic backwaters and Tea Gardens at Munnar.
- Which type of clothes should Canadians carry while travelling to India?
If you are in India between March to June, carry a lot of cotton clothes from shorts, jeans or loose pants to t-shirts and shirts. Women can carry Jeans and tops along with skirts and dresses in most of the country except religious sites where you are expected to cover your head, shoulders and legs, hence go for long skirts or pants along with tops while visiting such places.If you are travelling in between Dec to March, carry pullovers, jackets, boots and hats.
- Is the water in India safe for drinking?
In India, people use filtered water at home for drinking purpose and tap water is not considered a good option for the same. Hence, always use bottled water for drinking wherever you are in India, your hotel, at a touristic palace or even at the local restaurants.
- If I have specific dietary requirements, will the hotels cater to my needs in India?
Yes, most of the 4 and 5-star hotels take care of the requirements of the foreign visitors but to be on a safer side, give your hotel a call and inquire about the same in advance.
- Can the Canadians get non-spicy food in India?
Yes, you can instruct the restaurant at your hotel to keep your food less spicy. Also, avoid eating the local street food as you may not find many non-spicy food options.
- Are Indian hotels expensive for Canadians?
India is one of the cheapest tourist destinations, you can enjoy a decent stay at 50$ per night and luxurious stay at 500$ or more. Contact our specialist at https://www.indiatours.com/contact.html to offer you a holiday that suits your budget as well as your expectation.
- Do the hotels in India have good hygiene and modern amenities suitable for Canadians?
Yes, every 4 star and 5-star hotel in India maintain a high level of hygiene and are equipped with world-class facilities to take care of your every need.
- How safe is India for a solo-woman traveller?
India is safe for a woman like any other country but if you are in a remote area, avoid travelling after dark. Also, always keep the list of emergency numbers of India in your speed-dial.
- Are there handicapped friendly hotels in India?
Yes, there are handicapped friendly hotels in India. Most of the 5-star hotels have handicapped-friendly rooms fitted with accessible toilets.
- How can a Canadian book a customized holiday plan?
Many travel agencies offer a customized holiday plan, but if you are looking beyond just a travel experience and want to create memories that will stay with you for life, you can contact our specialists at https://www.india-tours.com/contact.html.
- Can Canadians use credit cards in India?
You can pay at hotels, shops and restaurants with credit cards, but having some cash handy will help you while travelling to rural or remote areas where people still prefer cash as the mode of payment.
- Which is the best way for Canadians to travel in India?
If you want to experience India in its most raw form, travel via road. Although, if you want a comfortable travelling experience, keep your train tickets and flight booked in advance.
- How safe it is for a Canadian to take help from the locals?
Indians are very warm and helping; they would try their best to guide you as much as they can. However, always avoid people who constantly pester you to buy something from them like scammers or con-artists.
- Are the monuments handicapped friendly in India?
No, most of the monuments in India are not handicapped friendly, and you would require assistance while visiting them.
- Is the pollution level in India bad for a Canadian?
The pollution level could be bad in cities Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai but the semi-urban and rural areas are much cleaner and free from pollution.
- Is it easy to find an English speaking guide in India?
Yes, it is very easy to find an English speaking guide in India and almost every touristic place is filled with guides who can speak different languages, English being the most common.
- What to buy during my India-trip?
A must- buy the item in your shopping cart would be colorful Indian handicrafts that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. The other must-buy items include jewelry, fabric, silk clothes, blue pottery, carpets, etc.
- Is it easy for a Canadian to buy a SIM card in India?
Yes, you can easily purchase a SIM in India as there are a number of telecom companies that provide this facility.
- What amount of tip is expected from a Canadian?
Tipping always depends on the services rendered; however, a decent tip in a restaurant is about 10%. You can tip about 5 to 10 Dollars to your driver and guide.
- Do Canadian need medical and travel insurance for travelling to India?
Yes, you need both medical and travel insurance before coming to India.
- Are Indian hospitals good enough for Canadians as well?
India has a lot of private hospitals with world-class amenities and you can be rest assured to get a great medical treatment in case of any emergency.
- Do Canadians need any specific Vaccinations before coming to India?
No, Canadians don’t need any specific Vaccinations before coming to India.
- Which medicines should we carry when travelling to India?
Carry medicines for Diarrhoea and Malaria while travelling to India.
- Is electricity 110 V or 220 V? What type of plugs/sockets should aCanadiancarry in India?
The electricity in India is 220V. Carry a Universal plug as the socket, and power plugs in India are of type C, D, and M.
- Is India a good destination for Canadians to travel with Family?
With options like camel safaris in Rajasthan, adventures in National Parks, houseboat-ride in backwaters of Kerala, light shows in monuments, India is the perfect destination to travel with your family.
- What are some basic words in Hindi to help me get by?
Some basic words that Canadian traveller can learn before coming to India are:
4) Kaise ho- How are you?
5) Achha/ Achhi hun- I am fine.
6) Kitne paise- How much are you going to charge?
7) Theek hai- Okay/ Alright
8) Madat- Help
9) Acha hai- It is good
10) Acha Nahi hai- It is not good
11) Pani- Water
- Where should I contact in case of emergency in India?
In case of an emergency, call 112, India’s all-in-one emergency helpline number. Other emergency numbers are – POLICE-100, FIRE-101, and AMBULANCE-102. You can also call our 24/7 customer service office number +91 11 41050560 for any emergency.
- Till what time restaurants are open in the night in India?
Metropolitan cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata are famous for their nightlife culture, and most of the restaurants are open till late night, but if you are in a semi-urban city, you can expect to find some restaurants open only till 10 pm.
- Can I bargain with the shopkeepers of local market?
While shopping in a local market, it is advised to bargain before settling down at a reasonable price. If possible, you can also take the help of a local for the same to get an idea of the price range of a specific product.
- Do Indians understand English?
Yes, in cities most Indians are well versed in English and also use it for communicating with each other. However, people in rural villages might know only a few basic words of English. Learn a few words of Hindi before coming to India to make your travel hassle-free.
- Can I take photos anywhere in India?
Although you can take pictures in most scenic places, some monuments and temples prohibit photography. Hence, it is advised to ask permission from the concerned authorities every time you are in doubt.
- Can I easily have Non-Veg dishes in India?
Yes, Non-Veg options are easily available in India. Dishes made out of Chicken, Lamb, and mutton are commonly found in the entire country except for Gujarat. Beef is banned in India considering the religious beliefs of the Hindus, but you can definitely gorge on everything else available in Non-Veg options including Seafood.
- Is it possible to experience the best of India on a budget?
Yes,it is possible as India is one of the most budget-friendly countries. You can afford a decent place to stay even on a budget as decent places to stay start from $35 per day and can go up to $150 or more depending on how much you to spend on your stay.
- What is the most commonly eaten delicacy in India?
Indian food is as diverse as the nation, and you can taste different delicacies from the north to the South. The most commonly found food is wheat, rice, pulses, and vegetables cooked with spices.
- It is my first time to India, what should I cover on the first day of my trip?
If you want to kick start your trip by experiencing a unique, vibrant and colorful culture, start from Rajasthan, here, your heart will be filled by warmth of Indian hospitality and colorful culture.
- How is the Internet connectivity in India?
Internet connectivity in most of the Indian cities is excellent and you can avail free Wi-Fi services in almost all the hotels during your stay.
- How is the ATM facility in India?
ATMs are easily available in most of the urban and semi-urban cities in India, whereas
you could face some problems while locating an ATM in a rural area.