In case you are an American planning to visit India for the first time, you must be having a lot of queries regarding India. For your convenience, we have enlisted below all the things that you must know before traveling to India from the USA. So, go through all of them and enjoy a hassle-free trip to India.
- Is India a favorite travel destination for US tourists?
India is one of the most visited travel destinations of Americans. In 2016 more than 1.3 million American tourists visited India and the number continues to rise.
- How to get an India e-visa easily for Americans?
If you are coming to India for less than 60 days, you can apply for an E-Visa, which will save a lot of hassle of filling forms and waiting for approvals.
- Which is the best time for Americans to visit India?
The best time to travel to India is in winter – from October to March. During this time, the weather becomes pleasant except for some chilly winter phase that starts after Christmas.
- What are top-5 must-visit destinations in India for Americans?
The top-5 destinations to visit in India for an American tourist would be Varanasi because of a cultural treat at the ghats of Ganges. The TAJ MAHAL, as it is hard to skip this alluring white marble tomb. Goa for Sun and sand beaches. Rajasthan to experience the luxurious Indian hospitality along with a completely unique and vibrant culture and last but not the least Kerala for backwaters and Ayurveda.
- Which type of clothes should Americans carry while travelling to India?
If you are in India between March to June, carry a lot of cotton clothes from shorts, jeans or loose pants to t-shirts and shirts and always carry a hat to escape the scorching sun. Women could wear jeans and tops in most of the country along with skirts and dresses, but if you are visiting a temple or a mosque, avoid mini-skirts and cover your head.
If you are travelling in between Dec to March, carry pullovers, jackets, boots, and hats.
- Is the water in India safe for drinking?
In India, tap water is not used for drinking purposes and if you are staying in a hotel, always ask for bottled water. If you out for visiting a place, try to carry bottled water or purchase it from a local store.
- If I have specific dietary requirements, will it be possible to cater to my needs in India?
If you are booking a hotel in advance, it is advised to check in advance and ask about your dietary requirements beforehand. However, Indian food is sumptuous and a little experimenting, while you are on holiday, will turn it into a memory.
- Can the Americans get non-spicy food in India?
Indians love everything spicy, but this doesn’t mean non-spicy food is unavailable. You can instruct your restaurant to keep your food less spicy, also avoid eating the local street food, as you may not find non-spicy food options.
- Are Indian hotels expensive for Americans?
India offers hotels in every range from as low as 30$ per night to 500$ or more. Contact our specialist at https://www.india-tours.com/contact.html to offer you a holiday matching your expectations.
- Do the hotels in India have good hygiene and modern amenities suitable for Americans?
Most of the 4star and 5-star hotels in India maintain a high level of hygiene, and you can expect daily room service and or room service at request along with every modern facility.
- How safe is a solo trip to India?
India is an ideal destination for that long-awaited soul search. You are as safer in this country as your own but yes because you will be easily identified as a foreigner, you need to be wary of the con-artists, touts, and scammers. If you are a woman, avoid traveling after dark unless it’s a very busy street and you can spot a lot of locals.
- Are there handicapped friendly hotels for Americans in India?
Yes, there are handicapped friendly hotels in India for Americans. Most of the 5-star hotels have handicapped-friendly rooms fitted with accessible toilets, but you might find it a challenge while visiting a monument and would have to ask for assistance.
- How can an American book a customized holiday plan?
Travel agencies offer a customized holiday plan according to your tastes but if you looking beyond just a trip and want to travel-specific places either for spiritual thirst or for a cultural extravaganza, you can contact our specialists at https://www.india-tours.com/contact.html
- Can Americans use credit cards in India?
You can pay at hotels, shops, and restaurants with credit cards but it is always advised to have some cash with you while traveling to rural or remote areas.
- Which is the best way for Americans to travel in India?
Real India can be experienced via road, however, if you want your journeys to be more comfortable, go for a train or a flight. India has a well-connected network of trains and most of the major Indian cities have airports.
- Can Americans participate in local fairs & festivals in India?
Indians are very warm and welcoming and you can participate in any local fair and festival and can enjoy the best of Indian hospitality during festivals.
- Are the monuments handicapped friendly in India?
Most of the monuments in India are not handicapped friendly and you would require assistance while visiting them.
- Is the pollution level in India bad for American?
India is a rapidly growing country and because of all the construction, the pollution level could be bad in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, etc. However, all the smaller towns and rural areas are rich in greenery and free from pollution.
- Is it easy to find an English speaking guide in India?
English speaking guides are easily available in India and almost every touristic place is filled with guides who can speak different languages, English being the most common.
- What to buy during my India-trip?
If you want to take back some souvenirs, you should definitely buy some Indian handicrafts. The other must-buy items include jewelry, fabric, silk clothes, blue pottery, carpets, etc.
- Is it easy to buy a SIM card in India?
Yes, it is easy to buy a SIM card in India as many telecoms provide this facility.
- What amount of tip is expected from an American?
Tipping always depends on the services rendered to you, however, a decent tip in a restaurant is about 10%. You can tip about 5 to 10 Dollars to your driver and guide.
- Do Americans need medical and travel insurance for travelling to India?
Both medical and travel insurance should be bought before coming to India.
- Are the hospitals in India good enough for Americans?
India is one of the best countries when it comes to medical treatment with its big private hospitals that are equipped with world-class facilities.
- What vaccinations are needed for Americans to travel to India?
Vaccinations are not needed for Americans travelling to India.
- Which medicines should we carry when travelling to India?
Antidiarrheal medicines along with medicines for Malaria while travelling to India.
- Is the electricity 110 v or 220 v? What type of plugs/sockets should an American carry in India?
The electricity in India is 220V. Carry a Universal plug as the socket, and power plugs in India are of type C, D and M.
- What are some basic words in Hindi to help me get by?
Some basic words that an American traveler can learn before coming to India are:
• Hello- Namaste
• Yes- Han
• No- Nahi
• Kaise ho- How are you?
• Achha/ achhi hun- I am fine.
• paise- How much are you going to charge?
• hai- Okay
• Madat- Help
• hai- It is good
• Nahi hai- It is not good
- Where should I contact in case of emergency in India?
In case of an emergency, call 112, which is India’s all-in-one emergency helpline number. Other emergency numbers are – POLICE-100, FIRE-101, AMBULANCE-102. You can also call our 24/7 customer service office number – +91 11 41050560 for any emergency.
- Till what time restaurants are open in the night in India?
Metropolitan cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata are famous for their night-life culture, and most of the restaurants are open till late night, but if you are in a semi-urban city, you can expect to find some restaurants open only till 10 pm.
- Can I bargain with the shopkeepers of local market?
Yes, it is highly recommended to bargain while shopping at a local market as people might quote you a higher price than the normal but refrain from bargaining in showrooms and malls.
- Do Indians speak English?
Yes, in cities most Indians are well-versed in English and also use it for communicating with each other. However, people in rural villages might know only a few basic words of English. Learn a few words of Hindi before coming to India to make your travel hassle-free.
- Can I take photos anywhere in India?
No, some places require tourists to deposit their cameras and phones and prohibit photography. Hence, it is advised to ask permission from the concerned authorities every time you are in doubt.
- Can I easily have non-veg dishes in India?
Yes, non-veg options are easily available in India. Dishes made out of Chicken, Lamb, and mutton are commonly found in the entire country except for Gujarat. Beef is banned in India considering the religious beliefs of the Hindus, but you can definitely gorge on everything else available in non-veg options including Seafood.
- Can I travel to India on a budget?
India is one of the most budget-friendly countries. You can stay at decent hotels starting from 35$ per day and can use some of the public transport. Speak to our expert for designing a budget trip for you.
- What are the staple and easily available food of India?
Indian food is as diverse as the nation, and you can taste different delicacies from the north to the South. The most commonly found food is wheat, rice, pulses, and vegetables cooked with spices.
- How is Internet connectivity in India?
Most of the hotels in India provide Wife and you will find fast Internet connections everywhere except remote areas.
- It is my first time to India, what should I cover in the first day of my-trip?
If you want to kick-start your trip by experiencing a unique, vibrant and colorful culture, start from Rajasthan, here your heart will be filled by warmth of Indian hospitality and colorful culture.
- Do I always need to carry some cash while travelling in India?
You will not require cash in the metropolitan cities as most of the establishments and vendors have started accepting online transactions even at the local stores, however it is advised to keep some cash with you while exploring the rural side of India.