The Magnificent Bikaner Camel Festival
India is a land of fairs and festivals. While all the states celebrate several festivals, the most notable ones are celebrated in the liveliest state of India- Rajasthan. Bikaner Camel Festival is one such popular event organized in Rajasthan. During this brief event, there are festivities all around and the major focus of the entire event is on the camel, which is also known as the ship of the desert.
What is Camel Fair of Bikaner?
It is an annual event organized in Bikaner aiming attention at the demonstration of camels. Organized by the Department of Tourism, Art and Culture, Government of Rajasthan, the festival portrays the association of camels with Bikaner. This event is celebrated due to the city being the only breeding region of camels since the times of the founder Rao Bika Ji. The animals that survive the scorching heat and harsh weather conditions are also known for their bravery. The camel corps have served in several wars and are recognized by the name of “Ganga Risala”. These animals also serve the Border Security Force in the regiment of the Indian Army. The festival holds great significance in the lives of people of Rajasthan because they see camel as an important means of livelihood and transport. Anyone can come and have fun at the Bikaner Camel Festival.
When and where is it celebrated?
This colorful festival is a two-day affair. It is celebrated near the Junagarh Fort in the month of January every year because during this season, the weather is quite pleasant in Bikaner. The fair is observed in the city of Bikaner. The Camel Fair 2020 will be hosted from 11 January to 12 January, 2020. This fair enables the tourists to know more about desert life.
How is it celebrated?
The festivities of the event get started with a majestic procession of beautifully decorated camels against the scenic setting of splendid Junagarh Fort. The fair involves a lot of fun, excitement,
What are the highlights of the Bikaner Camel Festival?
- Witness the exciting activities such as best breed competition, tug-of-war, acrobatics, fur cutting design, camel dance performances,
andmany other such things.
- Revel in the fashion show of camels during which all the bedecked camels walk towards the sand dunes in a group.
- Feast upon the camel milk sweets and sip a tea made up of camel milk.
- Catch a glimpse of the camel races and games, which are organized on the second day of the event.
- Watch the astonishing fireworks along with the illumination of decorative lights at the culmination of the event.
- Enjoy the enthralling folklores narrated by beautifully adorned puppets. The puppet shows are also unmissable sights.
- Be amazed by gawking at the marvelous acts performed by fire dancers.
What are the other things to do in Bikaner?
During your visit to Bikaner, you can enjoy much more than the Camel Festival as the city is replete with tourist attractions. You can opt for one according to your preferences:
- Visiting Junagarh Fort will let you appreciate the intricate carvings on the red and golden sandstones.
- Have a look at the amazing agglomerate of Rajputana and Islamic architecture by visiting a collection of chhatris at Devi Kund.
- Solace can be sought at the wondrous Bhandasar Jain Temple, which is an exquisite representation of the architecture and is dedicated to the fifth Tirthankara of Jainism- Sumatinath.
- Come across the historical artifacts and ancient objects of Bikaner preserved in the Prachina Cultural Centre and Museum.
- Dedicated to Karni Mata, Deshnok Karni Mata Temple is one-of-its-kind due to being
veneratedby a huge no. of rats or kabbas. This temple is considered as a holy site by the Hindus.
- Shopaholics can take delight in buying local artifacts, camel hide items, etc. at Kote Gate.
- Another must-have in Bikaner is Camel Safari in the Thar Desert. This is a fantastic way to explore the city along with the royal service of Rajasthan.
- Spotting diverse wildlife at the prominent Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary can be really pleasing for a nature lover.
- Since Rajasthan is a humid state, you may wish for a respite from the scorching heat. Therefore, Skybird Water Park can be your pick for beating the heat with a splash.
Also Check:- Rajasthan Travel – Places to visit in Rajasthan
How to reach Bikaner?
- By Air: Lying at a distance of 235 km from the city, Jodhpur International Airport is the nearest one to reach Bikaner.
- By Road: Bikaner enjoys good connectivity with the capital city of New Delhi, cities of Rajasthan and other major cities. So, regular buses can be used to reach the city.
- By Train: Bikaner has two railway stations- Bikaner Junction and Lalgarh Railway Station. Both the stations are situated at a distance of approximately 6 km away from the city.
Where to stay in Bikaner?
All types of accommodation are available in Bikaner. There are a no. of luxury and heritage hotels in Bikaner that are equipped with all world-class amenities. If you are looking for an economical option, you can make yourself comfortable in lodges, guesthouses,
What are the tips to follow during the Camel Festival?
- It is advisable to bring a few warm clothes along since the climate gets cool in the evening and stays the same till the time of early morning.
- One must carry sunscreen lotions to safeguard skin during the day time.
- Drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Opt for light clothing.
- Don’t forget to carry a camera because you will need it a lot to capture the scenic sights of the Camel Festival.
After passing through such a useful lot of information, you must not delay to indulge yourself in the festivity at the Bikaner Camel Festival.