Kolkata also known as Calcutta is a city of joy and festivals. This city has vibrant cultures and traditions and you will fall in love with its beauty and you’ll feel like you want to explore more and more . People visit Kolkata from all over the world because it is dotted with so many amazing places to visit . Some places here have a great history while some are modern and beautiful. This city is so impressive and you will feel its magic in unexpected ways . The people here are very friendly, sociable and you will always feel welcomed in their wonderful city . If you are planning to visit India , you should definitely come and discover this gem. I remember strolling in the streets of Calcutta for hours, trying the street food or taking a tanga ride (horse carriage ride), exploring the markets around the Park street or venturing and tasting the delicacies at some renowned restaurants. I explored famous places in Kolkata and me and my tummy made so many wonderful memories. I visited many cities but this city is different . You will want to explore more and more about this city.
Now let’s just give you the glance of this intriguing city . I think these are some of the best places you can’t miss to visit in kolkata.
Best places to visit in Kolkata
- Victoria Memorial : This is one of the most iconic monuments in kolkata and is a must visit place in the list of every traveler. It has stunning architecture and also has a museum with artifacts of the Victorian era. It’s another beauty is the huge green gardens which makes this place even more beautiful and you can relax there and have fun . The thing I liked most was that the gardens were very well maintained and were so clean. I remember spending a few hours just sitting in the gardens, realxing and reading my book. It also organizes a special light and sound show every evening which is really great.
- Howrah Bridge : It is one of the famous landmarks of Kolkata and holds the same importance as the Golden Gate bridge. It is a major attraction and comes first in everyone’s mind when they hear about Kolkata . It is a bridge that does not have nuts and bolts and is held together by the rivets and is adjacent to Oldest railway station in the city , known as Howrah Station .You can witness here daily commuters or work porters transferring goods . I enjoyed a beautiful evening here with my friends and had a great time . I also visited the flower market near this bridge and bought fresh flowers . You should also visit the flower market because that place was so vibrant and full of colours. Come here and spend a wonderful time with your family and friends and capture shots of the landscape and have a nice walk and enjoy your life.
- Kalighat Kali Temple : You can find many temples in kolkata but this temple is quite notable . It is a very ancient and sacred temple . You can sit and meditate here for some time. You’ll feel so calm and relaxed and very happy too . The temple is always brimming with devotees and will be a great experience for you to see how people worship their goddess . There are different temples inside this temple like Radha krishan temple and Shiva temple etc. While in Kolkata , you must visit here and seek blessings .
- St. Paul’s Cathedral : It is very famous as it is an Anglican cathedral of the Church of North India and this cathedral was rebuilt three times . Many people visit here throughout the year but during the time of Christmas and New Year. This church is decorated so beautifully and the view is so mesmerising . I have also visited this cathedral and in my opinion , it is a very nice place in terms of architecture , history and religion also . My most favorite time of the year is Christmas and I would love to visit this cathedral again and enjoy its midnight mass . You should also come and have fun.
- Indian Museum : This museum is one of the best places to visit in Kolkata . This Indian museum is the oldest and largest museum of India and offers the Archaeological, Art, Anthropological, Industrial and Zoological sections. All the sections in the museum are so interesting and impressive . If you love to visit museums and want to know new things then this one is definitely worth visiting .
I went to Kolkata for a week and still think that 07 days were less to explore this enchanting city . I went there during the festival of Durga Puja . It is a huge festival and the whole city was decorated and felt like magic. So if you have a free day in Calcutta, you must visit a temple and dedicate your time to goddess Durga . I also recommend you to take a ride in the old school yellow taxi . Trust me it will be a good experience or if you are a foodie, just go and try new restaurants and dishes . Don’t forget to explore the markets and shop for yourself and your loved ones. You will never feel bored because Kolkata has so much to offer and that’s why you should not waste this opportunity.
Best time to Visit Kolkata
October till February is absolutely the best and ideal time to visit Kolkata as the weather is really pleasant and the city hosts lots of festivals during this time too. If you want to see the culture of this city I highly recommend you to visit Kolkata during the month of September and October as the city organizes the festival known as Durga Puja . During the festival , the city displays art , programmes ,food etc . This occasion is best to visit and know the life of Kolkata . So the winter season is a great opportunity for all the travelers to come and explore this marvelous city and make lots of beautiful memories . I am definitely planning to go here again and in my view my trip was full of great moments , delicious food and mystical experience.
I am sure after reading the blog , you also want to explore this beauty . So don’t waste anymore time and plan your perfect vacation to Kolkata .